AdSense is perhaps the most popular way to make money online but is it for real? Can you still make money with AdSense? Can you make a living out of AdSense? I will try and give you honest answers based on my experiences as an AdSense user but also examples from successful websites that are using AdSense.
What is Google AdSense?
The majority of Internet users are probably aware of Google AdSense but for the sake of keeping beginners up-to-date here is a quick overview about the program and major benefits:
- It is own by Google
- It’s a major source of income for Google (On 2012 Q3 earnings from AdSense was $3.13 billion which represents around 27% of Google’s revenue)
- It is free for publishers
- Advertisers use the Adwords program to advertise their products or services on AdSense websites. They only pay when someone clicks on their ads (PPC – Pay per click)
- Publishers receive 68% of the revenue and Google 32%. For example if an advertiser pays $1 for a click then 68 cents will go to the publisher and 32 cents to Google.
- The cost per click calculation is based on an auction type system
- It is very easy to use
- It is the most reliable advertising platform on the Internet today and can generate the most revenue for publishers (compared to other similar PPC systems)
- AdSense besides content web sites is also available for games, videos, mobiles and search products.
What do you need to make money with AdSense?
So, AdSense is free, easy to use, you get 68% of the revenue – what else do you need to make money with AdSense?